Monday, February 23, 2009

In with the new


I have been wanting to try new recipes. I have been searching the web and blogs and asking my friends for tried and true favorites. I found the following recipe at this great blog .Thank you home based mom. This was a huge hit.

Mediterranean Chicken and Bow Ties
4 quarts water
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 tsp. chicken flavor instant bouillon
8 oz. uncooked bow tie pasta
Bring first three ingredients to a boil. Add pasta, cooked to desired done ness. Drain, keep warm.
Chicken:
2 Tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cut into 2 x 1/2 inch strips
1 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup diagonally cut green onions (1/2 inch pieces)
1 small can sliced black olives
1 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. chicken flavor instant bouillon
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved.
While pasta cooks, heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and garlic; cook and stir 6-9 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup water and cornstarch; blend well. Stir into chicken. Add onions, olives, 1/4 cup basil and 1/2 tsp. bouillon; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and glazed. Pour over cooked bow tie pasta; add tomatoes and toss to coat. Serves 4 (I usually double)
I didn't have bow ties so I used rotini. I prefer Barilla Pasta it just tastes better. this dish is heart healthy and delicious!!!
I am still looking for more tried and true recipes so feel free to send your favorites my way.
Tomorrow my Aunt Edna and Evelyn's divine Blackberry Cobbler. Not heart healthy but delights the soul!!

2 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Blackberry Cobbler?? Count me in!

Heidi D said...

That looks to be a good one for points. I think I will try it out.

Thanks for sharing!