Aunt Evelyn’s Cobbler
4 cups Fresh or Frozen Blackberries
1 1/4 c water
3 cups Sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
Add all the above and bring to a boil.
Crust:
½ cup shortening
2 cups flour
dash of salt
mix the above ingredients until crumbly.
Add 2/3 cups cold water to make dough
Roll out one half of dough and cut into thin strips. While berries are boiling, carefully drop dough strips one at a time. (careful not to add to many as it will become too thick).
Next, pour the berry mixture into a 13x9.9 pan. Roll out remaining dough to make top crust. Make strips of dough to weave on top of berries and dot with butter and sprinkle sugar over crust.
Bake in oven at 350° until crust is brown.
I had this cobbler as a child. Aunt Edna passed away before I got the recipe from her. My cousin Jackie had her mom's cookbook. Aunt Evelyn and Aunt Edna were sisters. Lucky for me this is the recipe I had been looking for for years. The extreme yumminess is in half the dough strips are cooked in the berry juice soaking up all the goodness. Then you have the crispy light lattice crust baked on top. Now if only I could make a diabetic version.
P.S. (I didn't take a picture of the cobbler I made so I borrowed a picture)
A Perfect Gift: Hair Twists with Wood Beads
5 days ago


4 comments:
Oh man! That looks good. :) I know this sounds crazy, but I would eat that for breakfast this morning if I could. ;}
That sounds divine!!!!!!
Yum, yum, yum. I love blackberry anything. And this looks so good. When I was a kid in Seattle, there were blackberry bushes growing wild everywhere. My sisters and I would pick pounds of them and then my mom would make something delicious with them. Memories, memories.
I seriously could gorge myself on blackberries. Looks delicous.
Post a Comment