Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's off to work I go

I have been blest in my life to focus on being a mother. I chose to stay home and raise my children. There were a few years when I did have to work part time. My heart was never in working. My mother was a very successful realtor. She was amazing. She did however work 18 hour days . She encouraged me to get my real estate license.

Having left BYU in my junior year to marry my sweetheart I did need something to fall back on.
So I complied and took the classes and the state exam. I have been licensed for 25 years. Over the years because my mom was so good and had 50 listings at a time I just had to help her with the clients when she was on overload. It was a blessing and helped with a few missions my children served.
So here I am my children are raised. I still do not want to be a career woman. However,
my husband and I now need to focus on preparing for retirement. We only have 10 years. Unless
we win the lottery(chance 0% because we don't play) I need to pitch in . I think somewhere it talks about being self sufficient. At our current rate we will need to work until we are
95.

Over the past few years we have been trying to decide where we should live. Homes and taxes here are beyond our current means. On the other hand this is home. We love our branch, neighborhoods and schools. I have lived in this area since I was thirteen. I joined the church 36 years ago as a teenager. I was the only member in Frankfort. I drove 20 miles to church in Joliet. Now Frankfort has a building and a branch.

I am a little apprehensive but Stephanie the Realtor is about to thrust in her sickle.

3 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Way to go! I am sure that you will do great...especially having helped your mother for so many years.

It's nice to have a "back up plan". I too left BYU to get married. It's a decision that I have NEVER regretted. Fortunately, even without the degree I have a plan. As a violinist I know that I can always teach. If I needed to I could take on a full load of students and make a living doing so. It would not be my choice...especially right now....but it's there if needed.

Erin said...

I think that is a wonderful idea. We are told to be actively engaged, and this is something you are already very experienced with. When that opportunity arrives, snatch it up. We love you.

Jan said...

You might just be able to really enjoy it more than you think. I returned back to work a couple of years ago myself. I don't work very many hours, but just enough to keep my head learning and also helping with my own independence needs.

We are about the same as you. My husband has 11 more years and then can retire. It is a really nerve racking thought to be so close and wonder how it is going to turn out.

I hope it all works out for you.