Thursday, November 20, 2008

Favorite cold weather recipe

I love recipes that are nutritious and delicious. Many years ago I got the following recipe from a fellow ward member. It was her mom's recipe. I think of her every time I make it. My family likes this far better than chili.





MOM’S CABBAGE PATCH STEW ( Karen Bingham)
1lb hamburger
2 cans kidney beans
1 large chopped onion
2tsp chili powder
1 c chopped celery
3 cans water
2 c shredded cabbage
1Tbs sugar
1Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 cans stewed tomatoes
Brown meat add onion, celery and cabbage, cook until vegetables are tender and wilted. Add water, salt and seasoning. Add tomatoes and beans last. Simmer at least 1 hour.

This muffin recipe from another long ago ward member is divine.I should say
D-I-V-I-N- E. One taste and you'll know why.

LEMON STRUESEL MUFFINS Lori Clinton

Streusel topping:
6Tbs sugar
2Tbs butter
5Tbs flour
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine sugar, flour, and butter. Mix until crumbly.

2 c flour
1 8oz container lemon yogurt
½ c sugar
½ c vegetable oil
2 tsp baking powder
1Tbs fresh lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
½ tsp salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries

In small bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, well. In large
Bowl combine yogurt , oil, lemon zest, and eggs. Mix well and add dry
ingredients. Stir until just moistened. Fold in fruit. Fill muffin tins ¾ full
with batter and sprinkle topping over the top of batter. Bake 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Lemon streusel...that does sound divine!

SuzanSayz said...

They both look really good. I know for sure that the muffins would be a big hit with my family, but I'm not so sure about the stew. It does look good to me though so I may just try it.