Sunday, September 16, 2012

Aunt Evelyn's Peach Cobbler

When I was a young girl we visited my Aunt Edna. She served the most delicious dessert I had ever tasted. Blackberry Cobbler. This cobbler had soft fruit infused dough in the middle and lattice top sugar coated top.
It has been over forty years since I had that treat. Two years ago I started to try to get the recipe.
Lucky for me my cousin, Jackie, had her mother's hand written cookbook. Her mother is Aunt Edna's younger sister. Like many southern cooks Aunt Edna and Grandma Gaba did not use measuring cups. They just knew when the recipe was right. I am so happy Aunt Evelyn left us some hints into their method for making cobbler

Aunt Evelyn's Peach Cobbler
Cobbler:

4 cups Fresh or Frozen Peaches with juice

(or add about 2 cups water if you don’t have enough juice)

3 cups Sugar
1 cup butter

Add all the above and bring to a boil.


Crust:

½ cup shortening

2 cups flour

dash of salt

mix the a bove ingredients until crumbly.

Add 2/3 cups cold water to make dough

Roll out one half of dough and cut into thin strips. While peaches are boiling, carefully drop dough strips one at a time. (careful not to add to many as it will become too thick).

Next, pour the peach mixture into a 13x9.9 pan. Roll out remaining dough to make top crust. Make strips of dough to weave on top of peaches and doe with butter and sprinkle sugar over crust.

Bake in oven at 350° until crust is brown.

Note: You can substitute Black Berries for the Peaches but only use 1 to 1/1/2 cups water

I am sorry there is no picture. I do not make this treat I love due to diabetes.

0 comments: