Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recovering


January 2009. Two years ago we went on an awesome Florida vacation. We are dreaming of a month long visit to Florida after the first of the year.

Dr Kielb did a wonderful job. Elisabeth is home recovering. Surgery took longer than they thought but the outcome is all I care about. I was beginning to worry about Elisabeth and the amount of pain she is in. You see this girl does not complain. I know she is in pain because she has not asked for her beloved computer, her ipod or watched TV. I do not sit by without interceding on her behalf. I encourage her to take pain medicine if she is uncomfortable.


Elisabeth is still a wonderful patient. All the nurses kept telling us how sweet she is and how they wished all their patients were like her. Today she kept telling me how thankful she was that I was her mother. She even told me she told the nurses she loved them. Being her mother is a very humbling experience.
It has been a very trying year with her unable to walk, get out much or interact with others much. She is tired of me encouraging her (nagging) to cath on time. We recently solved that issue by buying a wrist watch that chimes every three hours. I no longer will be her "nagging clock"


Her foot is once again looking terrible. It is at a level two pressure sore. It just doesn't make sense . I believe the problem may be with the bones inside making the wound. We will make an appointment with doctor check on this hopefully we can see both the urologist and the rehab specialist when we return to have the catheter removed.
We are hoping to get her back walking by Thanksgiving. Then Dave, Elisabeth and I are planning to find a way to go to Florida for at least two weeks hopefully longer sometime in January or February.



0 comments: