Thursday, April 7, 2011

" A fool learns from his own mistakes, A wise man learns from the mistakes of others".

Recently, we have had the opportunity to learn.....................oh did we get to learn. When we bought this home we were excited. Our appliances were all new. The dryer was two years old and the washer 6 months old. Everything else brand spankin' new. We thought we would be free of repairs for at least a few years. Wrong. First off I don't believe we should have to buy extended warranties. If a product is well made it should not need to have an extended warranty. When I bought the dryer I refused the extended warranty. The washer was another story. I decided after my son and his wife's washer problem's I decided to fork out the extra money. Boy was I glad I did. It wasn't even a year old when it broke. The service tech told us this particular Whirlpool washer would probably need this electronic part every year or so............ Three weeks ago the dryer was on but no heat!!!!. Dave thought we should replace the igniter. I called local parts stores and they wanted double what I could buy the part online for. We ordered the part. It came quickly. Dave replaced the igniter........... Still no heat. We went to the local parts store just wanting to get our dryer working. They suggested we replace the thermostat. Done . Still No heat. Then they said replace the timer. They charged me $87. At this point even though it was late in the repair process we bought an ohm meter. What were we thinking trying to fix the dryer without the trusty meter.So maddening. Dave tested all the old parts. Guess what they are all fine. Four times we asked if this model had a thermal fuse. They said our model didn't have one. After three weeks of drying clothes at the Laundromat I had had it. Dave came in and said I tested all parts and this one is the only one that isn't working. Guess what it was the thermal fuse! Cost online $5. Cost at the parts store I am disgruntled with $16 I paid the $5 and waited three days for the part. My dryer is now working!!!!!!!!!!! Lesson learned buy the ohm meter. Test the parts before forking out the money. They are not returnable. $187 later (Dryer was originally $400) my dryer is working and I have $102 worth of parts that I can use when they do go out. So, I kindly share our mistakes so you can be wise. The way appliances are made these days I may start buying the extended warranties . One service call costs $100 whether they fix the appliance or not.

2 comments:

THE HAYNES FAMILY said...

Vern buys from square trade and they have been very good so far!

SuzanSayz said...

So sorry Stephanie, I HATE when things like that happen. At least you have one fun thing to consider. . . .
You and Dave are. . . .

APRIL FOOLS!