These three are cousins. In fact Ada and Aubrey are double cousins. Vivi is three weeks older than Aubrey and they are best friends and rivals. They are keeping Elisabeth and I in stitches on Tuesday and on Friday Ada and Aubrey keep us hopping. Although I am not Vivi's grandmother by blood I love that she still calls me Grandma Stephanie. Aubrey is also calling me grandma Stephanie these days. I love that she knows my name.
When I was in second grade we had to write down our mother and father's names. I did not know my mother's name. Perhaps because she never really cared for her name, Martha, I just knew her as mom. It was embarrassing. Because of this early childhood experience I have made sure my children learned my name at an early age. I also want my grandchildren to know Papa is Dave and I am Grandma Stephanie. I am thankful I love my name. I never met anyone with my name until I was camping in Missouri at the age of Ten. Funny how taking care of these beautiful babies and teaching them has flooded my mind with childhood memories. By the way my mother prefers to be called Marty.


2 comments:
That's funny about the double cousin thing. My grandpa Brinkerhoff and his two brothers married my grandma Elva and her two sisters. One of the couples were never able to have children but my grandparents and the other ones did so my dad and his siblings were double cousins with the other aunt and uncle's kids. Basically they were genetically the same as their double cousins. Btw, did you get your Target card yet? I mailed it off on Thursday and was just little worried that it may have needed more than one stamp.
My mother hates her name too - Holdine. It's german and she was named after a great aunt.
Having a name like Holdine though, while growing up in the 40's and 50's when everyone was Sally and Kathy was not much fun.
So....when my mom had children (me and my 5 siblings) she made certain that we all had good old fashioned, standard names :)
Post a Comment